Here you will find a range of resources on mentoring and befriending in the form of information sheets, FAQs, publications, funding opportunities, useful links plus an online search for helpful books and reports listed on our Resources directory.
Resources and research on mentoring and befriending
The Resources directory holds details and links to a range of publications about mentoring, befriending, education and peer mentoring, social policy, offenders, youth work and much more. The resources listed can help you improve your knowledge and practices.
- Working with Parents of Young People - Research, Policy and Practice - this book provides guidance for professionals and chapter 11 explores the use of parent to parent mentors. Published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2007.
- Making Mentoring More Effective - aims to highlight mental health needs of young people and to show the factors that contribute to a positive outcome in mentoring schemes for this client group. Published by Young Minds, 2006.
- Befriending Learners - a guide illustrating good practice in befriending projects, published by NIACE in November 2005.
- Dealing with Disaffection - Young people, mentoring and social inclusion - based on a large scale research study, this book examines the lives of a group of 'disaffected' young people, and considers the impact that involvement in a mentoring programme had on them. By Tim Newburn & Michael Shiner, Willan Publishing, May 2005.
- Mentoring and befriending for young homeless people - a good practice guide on how to set up a scheme. Published by Shelter in April 2006.
Let us know about your resources
We welcome original works from programmes and practitioners operating in any area of mentoring or befriending. If you’d like to donate any resource to us or want to tell us about a helpful resource you've come across and would like to share with other practitioners, please contact the Information and Research Officer on 0161 787 3842 or email firstname.lastname@example.org